DEBUNKING Bakes on Mesh!
Dun dun DUNNNN….! Ok, not really debunking! Frankly bakes on mesh is going to be great. I’m a HUGE fan. You’ll finally be able to wear as many tattoos, moles, makeup and other body mods as you want! Skin makers will be able to give you tattoos that let you mix and match your facial features! Calorie Free Bacon will rain from the sky! Ok, not that last one.. but still some great stuff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=345&v=co8TYa8RHcs has a good video explaining the virtues. But there are some misunderstandings running around we need to discuss.
First, Onion Layers are not going away yet.
Why? Because the new system doesn’t support Materials. Simple as that.
Materials don’t see a TON of use with clothing/makeup/etc, it does however almost universally get used by high-end mesh bodies to add detail to their look. It’d be rather silly to see skin materials on a t-shirt, so any Mesh Body that wants to get rid of their Onion Layers will need to abandon Materials at the same time, drastically reducing the appearance of their body. I don’t think that’s a trade-off any serious creator will want to make, or that customers will want them to make.
What this WON’T be an issue for is tattoos and some makeup. It makes perfect sense for the shimmer of skin to not be blocked by a tattoo. Actually, this will be quite an improvement as before matte tattoos on top of shimmery skin could create a rather odd look. Now it’ll all be baked in UNDER the shimmer! Still, at least 1-2 layers will have to stick around if Mesh Makers want to maintain their Meshes current gloriously shimmery appearance.
Alpha Sections Can’t go yet either.
As much as I’d love to see Alpha HUDs die. (Srsly, I’ve always hated them. ), as long as there are Onion Layers, we’ll still need the annoying things since alphas won’t be applied to them!
You’ll still need to make/accept Appliers.
Trust me, I’d love to move onto other projects. I’ve been making and remaking the same script for years now, but we’ll still need appliers for a variety of things:
- Asymmetrical Clothing/Skins
- Anything you don’t want to look completely painted on.
- Items like Ears, Stand-Alone Hands/Feet, Lips and Implants.
Even if you’re not involved with any of the above things, you’ll still need to make the appliers because someone might be trying to use your product with a product that is.
So what is the point!?
Even with its limitations, Bakes on Mesh promises some awesome perks.
- Skin makers will be able to offer more options by including tattoos with their skins. Mix eyes, lips and nose options! Add Tummy Options!
- You will no longer be limited to a single tattoo per zone! Put 30 on there if you want!
- Alpha Glitching should go WAYYYYY down. With the major offenders (Tattoos/makeup), baked into the skin, we should see far fewer alpha headaches.
- There will be less lag as most users will have fewer textures to download.
- Edit: Apparently there’s also plans to eventually be able to use this with Animesh/rezed items. Which will be absolutely awesome. >.>
- There will be a lower bar for Entry for aspiring Mesh Makers.
That Last one actually has me super excited. Meshes don’t need to start out full featured. This’ll allow creators to dip their toes into Mesh Making without having to come get a script from me. It won’t work great with Materials, but it’ll work until you’re ready to make the leap to a more featured product with layers and alphas and such.
As I said before, Baked on Mesh is going to be awesome. Just don’t expect it to completely replace everything that has gone before.
- If you’re an Applier Creator, keep making those appliers, but start also including System Layers. I’m going to keep poking them for API solutions that will let appliers be inserted into the baked stack, but for now, assume that’s not going to happen.
- If you’re a mesh maker, just add a “Bake Skin” button to your hud. Have it set the skin to Alpha_Mode_Masking and texture it with the BAKED IDs and you’re done. If you need the UUIDs, PM me. I’ll get you set up.
- If you’re a customer, I don’t have much advice for you atm. Getting Bakes Released + Getting all the Skin Makers updated could take months, or it could take years. Just keep your ears and eyes open.