What is Materials?
Materials is a recent addition to second life that allows mesh to take advantage of the lighting in an environment to create effects like you see above, creating shine on objects that moves and reacts to the light around it. It also includes the ability to create bump maps that can add quite a bit of depth and definition on a 2D object. It is particularly useful in photography.
About the Appliers:
Inside the Kit you’ll find the following appliers:
Like all our appliers (except nipple and nail appliers) all these appliers use the SL Texture map. Unlike our other appliers however, these are designed to allow you to use Normal and Spectral Maps!If you’re not sure what a spectral and normal map is…well…better hit the Google! I found this page in particular informative: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Case_Study_-_Example_wood_crate_using_materials (It however leaves out the detail that your Spectral map should be transparent where you want no shine at all to occur..ie where there is no texture)
If you open up the Appliers, you’ll notice the Config cards have been replaced with config scripts. This ensures your UUIDs are safely tucked away where no one can see them. (Please note, at this time, unlike the advanced appliers, the config cards need to stay intact in the materials appliers. We will correct this in a future update)
You may also notice there are not separate Bra and Top appliers. That is because I have provided 3 button appliers with a single config script. No more making multiple Appliers for the same piece of clothing! (And no more groaning cause your top didn’t come with a bra applier!) Additionally the skin appliers have been combined into one easy to use skin applier.
- The white text buttons apply the textures to a specific layer. If you click on the pants button, the applier will apply to the pants layer. If you click on bra, it’ll go on the bra layer. It does not apply to multiple layers at once.
- The Glossy and Environment bars let your user change those values, letting them set them anywhere from 0-255.
- The Default Button will reload your default settings as you set them up in the NC.
- Remove materials will apply just the base texture, removing all materials from the selected layer in the process.
- Love N Lust Designs and Omega Obsessions Group will put the group links for those groups in chat so your users can find help if they need it.
- The Question mark takes them directly to our FAQ.
- Open the desired applicator
- Edit the config script inside
- Add the texture UUIDs in the indicated places.
- Set your Default Shine, Tint, Glossy and Environment settings!
- Change your config script to no-mod/no-trans!
Once this is done, you can wear the applier and click it to change the texture on any mesh with our Kits installed. Please note however, meshes that use Relays (Sking, Egoisme and Jiggle Booty) and implants that have not updated themselves with the information we’ve provided them, will not be able to make use of the Tinting or Materials. Only the Base Texture itself will be applied!
About re-skinning Appliers:
Like most appliers, these can be reskinned with your own color scheme branding,ect. However it’s ver important that you remember that there are multiple “buttons”on these appliers. These prim buttons will need to be moved so they are placed correctly with the new texture.
Please note.. unlike the normal advanced appliers, these appliers are NOT hud friendly. Linking them together WILL break them.
About Skirt Prims and Other Accessories
Rigged Skirt Prims are a popular way to complete your look, but bear in mind you should leave them mod so people can adjust the Materials settings if they need to. (A warning to make copys may be in order as well. Additionally, now all meshes sit at the same height in relation to these rigged skirt prims, so being able to adjust the Vertical offset is important.
To help make up for not letting you build a HUD with these new appliers, we’ve added a new functions you can make use of.
If you name a prim “website” and put the link and description in the description, separated by a semi-collon like so: Love N Lust Designs Blog;http://lovenlustdesigns.blogspot.com/p/quick-help-page.html
It will prompt the user to load the website. (You can see it in action by clicking the help button already on the appliers!
If you name a prim “group” and put the group link in the description, clicking it will put the group link in chat!
If you name a prim “slurl” and put the slurl into the description, clicking it will put the slurl in chat!