Info for Skin Makers
Additionally, different meshes have slightly different mapping, which means nipples and belly buttons and things might need to be nudged in one direction or another… keep reading for how to handle that.
You’re right! But we have ways for dealing with that:
Leave Plenty of Blended Space: Some Mesh Hands and feet, like you find on the Wowmeh and Petite bodies, use slightly more of the texture map then the SL Body does, more so then even slink. If you use excessive logoing on the typically non-visible parts, it can cause weirdness on the hands and feat. To avoid this, simply don’t put logos and other things near the hands and feat, leave nice empty blended space instead.
Not gonna lie. Nipples and Belly Buttons move around on meshes. This is getting cut down over time as we help new meshes get access to demo skins during their development, but there’s still rampant nipple weirdness and will continue to be so. Occasionally, you will feel the need to create a new upper skin texture for those mesh bodies you want to cater specifically to. That being said, by making ALL your appliers Omega, you will still end up having to make fewer appliers, be able to support more meshes and be less stressed each time a new body comes out.
It’s why we recommend:
The Multi-Option Option:
Oh let me count the ways!
- It’s easier and faster to load up 5 of the same type of applier then 5 different brands of appliers. Set up one, then copy and paste, only having to change the 1 UUID out of 6 you need to replace!
- You don’t have to learn a new applier each time a new one comes out!
- Omega Appliers are more secure then normal NC appliers. Confiq Scripts don’t have to be no-copy to protect your work, the config scripts can be deleted.
- They just look cooler…duh…
- For some meshes, we’re the only way to make an applier for them!
- But most importantly, while you’re creating those extra appliers with specific meshes in mind, there are …loads of other meshes you’re not paying attention to:
- Niche Meshes
- Retired Meshes
- Unpopular meshes
- Just released meshes
- Meshes you simply haven’t heard of yet
- Meshes you’d normally not have time for.
Those other meshes can STILL use these appliers. In fact, because you made appliers for multiple meshes this way, the meshes you neglected (and there are going to be alot of them) are better able to find a good match for their mesh! If you had instead made those individual appliers, only those individual meshes can utilize your skins!
- Best of all, not only are you covered for past meshes you’ve neglected, you’re covered for future meshes as well! Your customers can rest easy knowing that when the next FOTM mesh hits the market, they’ll be able to use their favorite skin right away.
For those wearing meshes you’re not directly supporting, It may not be perfect..but it certainly beats the alternative, which is not being able to use your skins at all.
A Note about Male Skins: Male Nipples are Weird!
The annoying thing about male skins and mesh is that there is no agreed upon place for the male nipple like there is for women. Women have this nice target on the SLUV map, men do not. There seems to be two tactics in play for mesh makers:
- Stretch the UV so the bulls eye is low on the chest, where you expect a male nipple or
- Pick a spot somewhat lower on the UV then the female nipple.
Our recommendation? Until the Male Mesh Market Settles a bit.. two or more Omega Appliers. One with SLUV centered nipples and one with the nipple tuned to your favorite Male Mesh. Just make sure you provide demos for both.
Optional Breast Textures: The Security Feature (link here)
While most of our out appliers use our super secure alternating channels, our upper body textures still use the not-so-secure Lolas Tango channels. They do this so that Boobie Owners and Creators are covered and rewarded for their selfless “Lets all get along!” attitude that we at Omega rather admired. during the great Mesh Breast Era.
But some skin makers have expressed concern about sending Full textures over the Lolas channels, a concern we understand. At least with Tangos, the texture could be partial, and thus useless without the full skin. As a compromise we’ve added the ability to include a Partial Texture just for boobies. This partial texture goes over the Lolas channel as usual, and signals the applier to use our secure channel for the full upper texture instead. If no breast texture is used, then the upper texture is sent over the lolas channel so boobies can feel the loves!
Technical Note: The breast texture is always send with <1,1,0> repeats and <0,0,0> offsets! Also, because of the way the appliers work, you WILL briefly see the partial applying to your body… and then replaced with the proper full texture!
Because… you’re going to provide a demo of course! For hands and feet at the very least!